|Sagra del Frittello||Medioevo in Festa||Accademia d'Arte||La Filarmonica||Artisti & Artigiani||Poeti & Poesie|
|La Storia||Statuto del 1326||Come arrivarci||Cosa Visitare||Il Territorio||Immagini Varie|
|Indirizzi Utili||Mangiare&Dormire||Ricette Tipiche||Referenze||Affittasi & Vendesi||HOME|
ROCCANTICA (altitude 457 metres)
|How to get there: exit from the A 1 motorway at Fiano Romano and from Passo Corese take the S.S. 313 road to Poggio Mirteto, then to Roccantica.|
The first mention of this village in the Regesto Farfense dates from 792 and records a Fundum Antiquum which, in the year 840, was entirely in possession of Farfa Abbey and which in the year 966 became a castrum, (Rocca de Antiquo). In 1059 it was besieged by the "crescenziane" troops and on the 18th April 1060 Pope Niccolò Il made the Fortress a feudal possession, later confirmed by other Popes.
Later it passed to the Orsini family but with the death of Flavio Orsini, on the 8/4/1698, Roccantica returned to the Holy See. On the 4-5 November, following a plebiscite, it was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy.
The tower: the keep stands within a triple circle of defensive walls which can still be seen, the first with solid buttresses and the second with three gateways, the Portone (or Porta Reatina), Porta Nuova and Porta dell'Arco. Next to the Fortress is the Church of Piedirocca, a shrine with an image of the Madonna with Child. The interior of the parish Church of S. Maria Assunta has a valuable painting depicting the Virgin Enthroned with Child, attributed to Bartolomeo Torresani. The interior of the Church of S. Caterina d'Alessandria has some valuable late Gothic frescoes commissioned by Armellao de' Bastoni who ruled Roccantica for some time from 1427, signed by Pietro Colaberti da Piperno, 1430.
At the entrance to the village, on the piazza, is the Church of S. Valentino, now transformed into a war monument.
|The castle - monastery of the Clarisse Hermitage-Church of S.Chiara was built in 1583, suppressed in 18 10 and restored in 18 16, only to be dissolved again in 1864.|
The Rornan Seminary was built in 1454 and Angelo Roncalli, later Pope John XXII, studied here. The Church of S. Giuseppe is rich in precious marbles and has an antique organ and a painting by the Cortonese artist, "Wedding of the Virgin". In the Valley of Galantina, is the Hermitage of S. Leonardo, a Benedictine hermit of the eighth century, built from a cave containing a spring whose waters are reputed to be therapeutic. There is a notable fresco of S. Leonardo and S. Caterina by Jacopo da Roccantica.
Hermitage, of S. Leonardo, Nature walk No. 7: Fonte Regna, along the edge of a beech wood at 880 m. altitude, spring of pure water. Nature walk No. 6; Mount Pizzuto 1287m altitude. Nature walks No. 6 - 3; Revotano carsic dolmen 250 m in diameter. Nature walk No. 7.
Feast days, festivals and other events in Roccantica
Frittello Festival: first Sunday after 19th March. Cauliflowers immersed in batter and fried in olive oil produced locally. Opening of artisans workshops, food stalls, dancing, entertainment.
|12th August to 15th August: Medieval Festival, with historical re-enactments, processions, tournaments, entertainments, taverns and artisans workshops. Night time Procession of the Assunta in medieval costume, around 600 costumes in medieval style are worn by the young people of the village who, through music, flags, and torches, evoke the atmosphere of the period against the backdrop of the typical medieval architecture of the village.|
Second Sunday of September: Feast of the Madonna of Piedirocca, which draws the presence of every "roccolano" wherever they happen to be.
Sporting and recreational activities: Centro Ippico (horse centre) S. Lorenzo, tel. 0765 63893. Horse riding.
Opened in the summer of 1999 at Roccantica, the ACCADEMIA D'ARTE, Art Academy offers very well equipped workshops where, under the guidance of internationally recognised teachers, one can learn the skills required to work with glass without using a kiln Because of this the materials and rnethods are accessible to everybody. Artists and artisans will find the opportunity to learn, compare, and perfect their skills,
and anybody else who loves glass will bave the opportunity to learn to use this fascinating and mysterious material in a creative way.
Where to eat:
|IL CAMPANILE - Via del Campanile,1||tel. 0765 63498
|DEL COMPARE - Via Piagge, 1||tel. 0765 63583|
|La Tacita||tel. 0765 63626|
|Where to sleep:||
|Centro Ippico S. Lorenzo|
|LA CHIARELLA B&B||tel. 0765 639005|
Tourist information: Pro-loco and Comune: tel. 0765 63020, Fax 0765 63809